When you’re online you may come across material that makes you feel uncomfortable or upset.
There are a few simple things you can do to protect yourself:
- Talk to someone—tell your parents or another trusted adult.
- Know how to ‘escape’—Hit control-alt-delete if the site will not allow you to exit.
- Understand that some sites aren’t meant for kids—if a website looks suspicious or has a warning page for people under 18 years, leave straight away.
- Set your search engine to block material that is meant for adults.
- Ask your parents to install internet filter software to block bad sites.
- Ask your parents to help you find safe and fun sites to use and bookmark for later.
Need to talk?
Has something happened online that makes you feel uncomfortable, scared or sad?
Talking to friends and family can help. It can also help to talk to an expert about what’s happening. If you want to talk about a problem you can visit Kids Helpline or call them on 1800 55 1800. This service is private and free.